First of all, gambling operators that wish to be licensed in France must adhere to strict rules. Furthermore the state of France monopolized the market of gambling. In the past only raffles and horse races were legalized, but in 2010 the French parliament enforced a law that legalized some types of online gambling.
Online gambling is regulated by an administrative body called ARJEL.
ARJEL has a number of responsibilities concerning strict regulation of the online gambling business. This body establishes technical and legal framework and standards for the online gambling market in France. ARJEL not only issues licenses for online gambling, but also hunting illegal sites and their owners. This body also monitors the games in the online casino, regularly checking their compliance with the gambling norms and standards.
Types of gambling to license in France:
- Pull betting, fixed odds and live betting
- Poker games such as Omaha and Texas Hold'em
- Horse racing
3 types of licenses available:
- online sports license, valid for 5 years
- online poker license valid for 5 years
- license for online racing, valid for 5 years
- The operator must have a headquarter or a head office in a EU country or in the European economic area
- Provide an ID with no criminal record
- Bank account a EU country or the European economic area
- Permanent correspondent account in France
- French bank account for business transactions